Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Walk Down Memory Lane

When I was growing up, our family did not have a lot of money, so we did not have the luxury of purchasing school pictures.  I was really excited when I discovered some elementary class pictures that I was in,  and my grade 12 graduation picture,  on facebook  the other day.  I went to Leeside Elementary School for grades 1-4 and then I went to EJ Wood School for grades 5 and 6, then I went to Cardston Junior High School for grades 7-9 and then the Cardston High School for grades 10-12.  The idea struck me this morning that all the schools I attended have since been torn down.  Leeside school was demolished and is now where the Cardston IGA and Remington Carriage Centre is.  The EJ Wood school was torn down and is now a vacant lot.  The old Cardston Junior High School was torn down and the Cardston High School was built in it's place.   A lot of the old buildings of the old Cardston High School were torn down and were replaced in the renovation of the new High School. Some of my favorite memories of Leeside school are - skipping rope, hop-scotch, Chinese jump rope, jacks, and we spent  hours playing tag (one home base was a grove of trees behind the school and the other was a grove of trees across the play ground). We used to run from one home base to the other home base without getting caught.  In the winter there was a small hill beside the school and we could hardly wait until  it was time for recess and  noon hour so that we could go sliding down the hill.
This is my grade one picture and my teacher was Mrs. Elizabeth Hackney.  I am on the top row - 6th pupil from the teacher.  I loved my grade one teacher and one of my memories of her was that she gave presents and awards at a party on the last day of school.
This is my grade three picture.  I am on the top row- 3rd pupil from our teacher who was Mrs. Melvina Jensen.
This is my grade four class picture. I am in the middle row - third from the end from where  my teacher is standing.  My teacher was Mrs. Arlene Scott.  One of my memories of grade four was - that our teacher wanted us to draw a picture of a horse in art class.  My picture of the horse looked more like a dinosaur.  I was not blessed with the talent of drawing and it seemed like that picture hung on the wall FOREVER.
Graduating Class of 1971.  I am the third person on the front row.  It was a pretty large graduating class for the small town of Cardston.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is nice to go down memory lane. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! What a great find! It makes me think I should scan my old school photos. You look adorable with your cute curly hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHH I love this post, I love the pictures. I hate that all those school's have been torn down and that I too went to all of them except I went to Westside, not Leeside.

    ReplyDelete