Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fun Long Weekend

I love long weekends but they go by way too fast.  It was great having Rob, Crystal, Samantha, Lindsey and Mar come to spend the weekend.  Saturday morning Rob, Lindsey and Mar went on  the Alderson Carthew  hike up to Waterton.  They started at Cameron Lake and walked 22 kilometers over and through the mountains and ended up at Cameron Falls.  I would of like to of joined them but I was afraid that I would not make it very far before running into back and hip problems.  Oh, to be young again!!!  Crystal and I also went up to Waterton  and spent the morning.  Crystal drove the hiking group to their starting point  so that they could leave their car at the ending point,  while Samantha and I stayed behind and  threw rocks in the water waiting for Crystal to come back.  Then we went for ice cream and looked at some of the shops before going back home.  I was able to find a birthday present for Samantha that she just loved.  I already gave it to her as Rod and I are going  to Rexburg the weekend before her birthday.

Sunday afternoon  we all went up to Waterton to join in for a wiener roast with Dan, Ruth, Wendy and Peter and their family and Dana and Roger and their family at the Palmer Cabin.   It rained most of the day on Sunday so we ended up staying inside, but the cabin was big and we all enjoyed the evening.   Lots of yummy food to eat and Ruth brought the biggest marshmallows that I have ever seen.  Shannon and Steve and their family was able to come up later in the evening because their church was in the afternoon.  I think this weekend, our church meeting time will  finally go back to the usually time because the work and  the paving of the  parking lot at the Stake Centre will finally be done.  

I have always felt that  to have a close family, it is  very important to strengthen and nourish that relationships.  My family on my mother's side was never very close.  As I was growing up, I have only met some of my aunts  and  uncles a couple of times and my grandmother lived in Calgary  and I did not see her very much,  and some of my cousins I have not met at all.  My grandfather died before I was born.   Maybe that is why I strongly encourage my children and grandchildren to create a strong bond with their siblings and for their kids to get to know their cousins and associate with them as much as possible.   I love  it when  my  children and grandchildren will go and visit with  their grandmothers and associate with them and include them in their activities as much as they can.  My own mother is now 92 years old and I try and go and visit with her during my lunch hour.  I believe it brightens up her day and lets her  know  how much I love and appreciate her.  I have also encouraged family members to attend family reunions when they can even though sometimes they are boring. 

Rook, Rook and more Rook.  I love it!!!  What more can I say!  I am so glad that my  kids will let me play with them although I am not very good.  I don't like the pressure of winning the bid!!

On Monday Rod showed Mar how to shoot  a bow and arrow. 
Rod showing Mar the art of shooting with a bow and arrow.  Mar caught on really fast with  perfect form and technique.  She did exactly what Rod told her to do.
Lindsey made wonderful spaghetti sauce and french bread while  Crystal made a delicious Caesar salad for lunch.  Thanks Lindsey for my secret weapon while we were playing Rook.  A beautiful parsley toothy grin!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun, we'll have to play rook next time we come (although I always forget how to play and have to be reminded every time!). I'm glad you all had a wonderful weekend together, too bad we're just a bit too far away to come for all the long weekends. But maybe soon! :)

    ReplyDelete